International Student

International Students

The ESOS Framework protects rights of international students.

If you are an international student who wishes to get part-time or casual work, first be aware of the restrictions under your visa. Contact the Department of Home Affairs on 13 18 81 or visit their website.

Everyone working in Australia should have access to basic rights at work including minimum pay and conditions for any job, no matter how long you stay in Australia.

Take the time to find out about your entitlements. Your minimum pay and conditions can come from an award, agreement or contract. These are legal documents that say what your employer is required to do and what you are required to do as an employee.


Workplace related information can be found from the Fair Work Ombudsman via (Multi languages assistance is available). The Fair Work Ombudsman provides advice to help you understand your workplace rights and responsibilities.

Legal Rights in Australia

Students should have a general familiarity with their legal rights available to everyone in Australia.

NSW Fair Trading provides advice on avoiding unfair business practices and how to handle disputes on issues such as rental bonds, shopping refunds, product safety, scams and more. NSW Fair Trading provides many tips for consumers online and a free smart app. For further information, please refer to

If you work, you will need a Tax File Number(TFN). To obtain a TFN, call the Australian Taxation Office on 13 28 61 or visit You need to give your employer your TFN so you do not pay the highest rate of tax. Please keep your TFN private and secure to prevent identity theft.


Everyone working in Australia should have access to basic rights at work. Workplace related information can be found from the Fair Work Ombudsman via (Multi languages assistance is available). The Fair Work Ombudsman provides advice to help you understand your workplace rights and responsibilities.

Legal Advice

Various legal and community centres in Sydney provide free, confidential advice about housing problems, fines, debts, car accidents, employment, discrimination, family law, domestic violence, and complaints about colleges or universities. See generally:

Facilities and Equipment

The Australian Harbour International College is maintained with lecture rooms. Facilities and equipment’s are set-up, checked and maintained regularly to ensure effective and efficient operation. Students have access to necessary instructional and assessment facilities, materials and equipment.
Training facilities include:

·         Fully resourced lecture rooms

·         Suitable training equipment set up safely and securely

·         Adequate acoustics, ventilation and lighting

·         Amenities for meal breaks

·         Toilet facilities

·         Accessible references and resources

·         Computers with access to the Internet

In the event of a planned relocation of the College we will notify both ASQA and our students at least three weeks prior to the relocation taking place. This notification will provide details of our new address, a map of how to get there and other details relevant to the relocation and student studies during this transition period.

Orientation to the College and the Course

Student services staff will organise your orientation. On your first day at our college the team will welcome you, answer your questions and give you information about:

·         Your stay in Australia

·         Accommodation, finances and further study

·         Requirements to receive a qualification

·         Certificates issued on successful completion of the course

·         How your skills, knowledge and attitudes will be assessed?

·         Recognition of prior learning or recognition of current competency

·         How you can appeal if you don’t agree with your assessment outcome

·         How you can complain if you are not satisfied with any part of the course

·         How you can get extra help with your learning

·         Course timetable and attendance

·         Course content

·         Emergency evacuation procedures

·         Your obligations as a student at our College including requirements for achieving satisfactory course progress.

·         You must attend an orientation session and sign off on this activity.

Education Support and Learner Support

The education support strategies used by trainers at Australian Harbour International College includes:

·         Pre-teaching technical terminology.

·         Demonstrating procedures.

·         Providing opportunities for ‘hands-on’ experience and practice.

·         Ensuring individual support and advice to students.

·         Encouraging students to work at their own pace.

·         We offer additional tutorial times for students to work in smaller groups with their trainer.

College Academic Calendar and Intakes

The academic year of Australian Harbour International College is 36 weeks divided into 4 terms of 9 weeks for every term. Students have to study a minimum 13.5 hours On Campus and 6.5 hours Online per week. Students are only allowed to take breaks during the public holidays and nominated College holidays.

Course Timetable

Timetables and room allocations are set in advance but may change each term. Timetables will be posted approximately 2 weeks prior to the commencement of the next term at the College noticeboard and on the website.

New students will receive their timetable at orientation.

Language Literacy and Numeracy Support

We aim at all times to provide a positive and rewarding learning experience for all students. Our enrolment form asks you to provide information regarding Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) requirements or any other special learning needs. In the event of LLN becoming an issue, you can contact the Student Services Officer to discuss your requirements.

Tuition Protection Service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is a placement and refund service for international students, which is activated in the event that your provider is unable to teach your course. Visit the TPS website for more information, at 

Student Card

In order to obtain a student card, you are required to give reception a passport sized photograph. You will then be issued with a student card within a week. The student card can be used as a concession card at museums, theatres, cinemas etc. They are not valid on public transport in Sydney, as international students must pay adult fares.

There is a charge of $20 for replacement of a lost card.

Registered Training Organisation

As a registered training organisation the Australian Harbour International College (AHIC) is bound to comply with the Vocational Quality Framework (VQF), the National Code of Practice 2007 and other requirements specified by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). A copy of the National Code of Practice 2007 is located in the administration office of your campus and is also available for download from

Refer to the College Student Handbook for further support services in the Download section of this website.