Know Your Responsibilities

Overseas Students Visa Responsibilities Checklist

If you are an overseas student on a student visa, you have responsibilities to:

·         Satisfy your student visa conditions;

·         Maintain your overseas student health cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay;

·         Meet the terms of the written agreement with your education provider;

·         Inform your provider if you change your address; and

·         Maintain satisfactory course progress.

Student Code of Conduct

HARBOUR COLLEGE staff will support you to succeed, but you as a student you also have responsibilities to yourself and those around you.

Please read this Student Code of Conduct and the Student Academic Misconduct Policy and contact the Student Services team if there is anything you do not understand.

Student Academic Integrity

Do not take risks with your academic integrity. It is never worth it. Maintaining your academic integrity also develops your professional integrity.

Do not cheat. This includes plagiarism and third-party assistance in preparing assignments.

Intentional plagiarism is a serious issue, amounting to academic fraud which will result in a zero grade and put your enrolment under threat.

Plagiarism is using another person’s ideas or works without appropriate acknowledgement or credit. Save yourself a lot of stress by learning to reference properly from the start. Consult your lecturer if you are unsure before you submit your first assignment.

All written assignments must be submitted online, and the link will take them through the Turnitin anti-plagiarism software.

You should avoid ghost writing or contract cheating. Ghost writing or contract cheating is where a student contracts or asks someone else to do their work for them. Simple examples include asking a friend to write an assignment, buying an assignment from a website, or paying someone to sit an exam.  You should know that this is a very serious academic misconduct and a breach of academic integrity. 

Students who are found to have plagiarised in this way can face serious consequences and will be subject to the Academy’s disciplinary procedures. 

In exams, cheating includes using electronic devices or notes in the exam room where these not authorised. Any student caught cheating on an examination will be given a FAIL grade in that unit and the incident reported to the President for further action.

Students may apply for a Special Consideration when they are unable to complete an assignment or other assessment on time. This will require the presentation of acceptable evidence.

If you have difficulties, talk to Student Services about getting an additional support program designed to meet your needs.

Education & Training in Sydney

Sydney is the capital of the State of New South Wales (NSW) and is Australia’s biggest city in terms of population. Sydney, besides being the oldest city in Australia, is also the most international and offers you the chance to earn a first-class education from professional, experienced teachers and lecturers.

Sydney, and NSW more generally, offers a huge range of highly regarded universities, colleges, schools and vocational training facilities to choose from.

English is the official language of Australia and is the main language of instruction in most educational institutions.

After high school, there are range of higher education choices: vocational education and training (VET) institutions – such as the public Technical and Further Education (TAFE) colleges, private VET colleges or Registered Training Organisations (RTOs), and universities and private higher education providers (HEPs).

Institutions that offer courses and services to international students are listed on the 'Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students' (CRICOS). All courses for international students must have a CRICOS code to be registered and accredited in Australia (and NSW).

Sydney offers all levels of qualification – from VET certificates and bachelor degrees through to postgraduate qualifications. The qualifications of these educational and training institutions are usually nationally accredited, and as such, are recognised by institutions and employers both nationally and worldwide. These qualifications from nationally accredited courses form part of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).

Most education providers publish calendars with important dates outlined including: enrolment, orientation, program starts, breaks, exams and exam results publication, which you can usually find on their website.

Study in Australia is the official Australian Government website for international students. Here you can search for courses, institutions and scholarships and read about studying and living in Australia. The website also provides links to information about additional support services available to international students studying in Australia.

The Australian Government wants international students to have a rewarding and enjoyable experience when they come to Australia to study. Australia offers high quality education services and protects the rights of international students to ensure you make the most of your time here.

Emergency Contact

Emergency: In Australia, if you need the police, fire brigade or ambulance urgently call: 000. Then contact the Student Services Manager for additional support, or if it is after hours, contact Australian Harbour International College Welfare Management at: +61 2 9268 0085.

All Australian Harbour International College staff are eager to help ensure the safety, wellbeing and health of our students, and the Student Services team is the best place to start. However, if it is after hours or you prefer online assistance, there are many useful online and telephone resources.

For Physical Health concerns: Healthdirect: 1800 022 222; free 24/7 advice from a registered nurse who will advise if you should see a GP, manage the condition at home or go to a hospital emergency department.

For Mental Health concerns: NSW Mental Health Line: 1800 011 511 – staffed 24/7 by mental health professionals who can assess the urgency of your issue and direct you to appropriate local help.

A regularly updated list of support services is on the notice board at reception.


If you are ill while on campus, please do not leave Australian Harbour International College without informing your teacher or the Student Services Manager.

In the case of serious illness or injury occurring on campus, please report to the Student Services. A first aid kit is available in the Student Services’ office, located on level 4.


While Sydney is generally safe, as in any large city, it is important to take precautions whilst travelling. People who are alert, which includes not wearing headphones, are less likely to be a target. Be aware of the location of the Emergency Help Points at train stations and try to stay in well-lit areas. Ask shop keepers or bartenders for help if you feel unsafe.

For more personal safety tips and crime prevention, you can visit the safety page of City of Sydney via: Multi-languages are available. Also see the Australian Harbour International College Student Handbook for more tips.

Other useful telephone help services in Sydney:

  • Victims of Crime Support Line: 9374 3000
  • Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000
  • NSW Rape Crisis Centre: 98196565 or 1800 424 017
  • Eastern and Central Sexual Assault Services: 9515 3680
  • Crisis Service-ask for after-hours crisis workers: 9515 6111
Mental Wellbeing and Counselling

AHIC has partnered with Interrelate for counselling support. Students are encouraged to seek support from qualified counsellor if they wish to talk about study or personal issues. Interrelate will provide free and confidential professional support, advice and counseling to all students either over the phone, via video or face to face.

When booking, please state that you are a Student Assistance Provider client and you are currently studying at AHIC. The service is free and confidential and you are not identified to the AHIC.

To book your appointment, Call Interrelate on 1300 473 528

Our Senior Student Service Manager and the academic and administrative teams have an open-door policy and are willing to talk to you about any matters you may be facing. Individual assistance is available for students in need of specialised counselling. Inquire at Students Services for assistance.

If you would prefer 24/7 immediate external support, you can call one of the following numbers

·             Lifeline Australia – 13 11 14,;

·             Salvo Youth Line: 9360 3000

·             Salvo Suicide Prevention: 9331 2000

·             Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636;

·             Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 467

·             Alcohol and Drug Counselling: 9799 1199

Online support can also be found at:

·       Headspace -; a place where young people or their friends and family can learn about mental health issues or get support;

·       Reach Out -; practical support, tools and tips help young people and their parents get through anything from everyday issues to tough times;

·       Black Dog Institute –, information to help with the identification, prevention and treatment of mental illness, and the promotion of wellbeing; and/or

· - online assessment and treatment for stress, anxiety and depression.

Also remember to maintain your good mental health through building relationships, exercising, eating a healthy diet, avoiding excess alcohol or drugs, getting a good night's sleep, regular check-ups with the doctor and seeking help if you feel you are not coping as well as you could be. (Source: Tips for good mental health; Accessed 23/07/2019.)

Cyber Safety

Avoid identity theft. Do not share your personal information with parties that you do not know or trust online through social media, emails or through any other online modes of communication.

Australian Harbour International College has a top-quality firewall and virus protection in place to protect you while using the Internet and your personal information.

However, Australian Harbour International College does not accept any responsibility for the misuse of your personal information that you may provide to an unauthorised party that is not connected to Australian Harbour International College while using your student email and facilities. Australian Harbour International College accepts no responsibility if you visit a site that is clearly dangerous from your personal system and effectively pass on viruses or malware to your peers.

If you think you are the victim of cyberbullying, please talk to your Student Services Manager. If possible, please save evidence of the alleged conduct in the event that the Student Services Manager needs to conduct investigations. 

If a student is found to have engaged in cyberbullying, Australian Harbour International College will not tolerate such behaviour, and this may attract penalties.


International Students

The ESOS Framework protects rights of international students.

If you are an international student who wishes to get part-time or casual work, first be aware of the restrictions under your visa. Contact the Department of Home Affairs on 13 18 81 or visit their website.

Everyone working in Australia should have access to basic rights at work including minimum pay and conditions for any job, no matter how long you stay in Australia.

Take the time to find out about your entitlements. Your minimum pay and conditions can come from an award, agreement or contract. These are legal documents that say what your employer is required to do and what you are required to do as an employee.


Workplace related information can be found from the Fair Work Ombudsman via (Multi languages assistance is available). The Fair Work Ombudsman provides advice to help you understand your workplace rights and responsibilities.

Legal Rights in Australia

Students should have a general familiarity with their legal rights available to everyone in Australia.

NSW Fair Trading provides advice on avoiding unfair business practices and how to handle disputes on issues such as rental bonds, shopping refunds, product safety, scams and more. NSW Fair Trading provides many tips for consumers online and a free smart app. For further information, please refer to

If you work, you will need a Tax File Number(TFN). To obtain a TFN, call the Australian Taxation Office on 13 28 61 or visit You need to give your employer your TFN so you do not pay the highest rate of tax. Please keep your TFN private and secure to prevent identity theft.


Everyone working in Australia should have access to basic rights at work. Workplace related information can be found from the Fair Work Ombudsman via (Multi languages assistance is available). The Fair Work Ombudsman provides advice to help you understand your workplace rights and responsibilities.

Legal Advice

Various legal and community centres in Sydney provide free, confidential advice about housing problems, fines, debts, car accidents, employment, discrimination, family law, domestic violence, and complaints about colleges or universities. See generally: